CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Transforming Culture

A few years back I read an article by Richard Niebuhr entitled Christ and Culture. Niebuhr looks at how the relationship between the Church and the culture has traditionally been viewed. We've all faced this question in some form in our journey. I have to admit that I've adopted a range of responses over the years. Recently, I've come to settle on the position that we, the Church, are immersed in our culture and no matter how hard we may fight it, in one way or another we are an intrinsic part of culture. The question for me then became what does it mean to be in culture. Are we simply mindless sponges absorbing our culture? Are we at war with this culture we live in? Both of these questions represent extreme positions on a vast spectrum of positions. On this spectrum I have found myself becoming more and more firmly planted in the position that the Church is a transforming agent in culture.

How the Church acts and reacts toward those who share this culture with us has had a profound impact on defining the perception of the Church and her relationship with others. I have found those who have adopted the "at war with culture" approach have produced significant damage to culture and to the Church. Conversely, I have found those who unquestioningly embrace everything our culture embraces have only perpetuated the goods and evils of culture. I have found those who have adopted the position of being transforming agents in culture, however, have produced significant beneficial growth in our culture. John Wesley, John Newton, William Wilberforce, Thomas Clarkson, and Granville Sharp were all members of "The Committee for the Abolition of the Slave Trade," This committee was the vocal voice in society that changed the cultural perspective of slavery, which applied the necessary political pressure to abolish the slave trade. William Booth, and other members of the evolving Salvation Army, bought the freedom of hundreds of teenage girls who were being victimized in the 19th century European sex slave trade. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. has been iconisized as the person who mobilized millions to peaceably pursue civil rights in America. The list goes on and on.

What I notice about this list, besides that they're all "Christians," is that for the most part these transforming agents in culture brought about the change through peaceful action. Rather than being passive members of culture or militant aggressors towards culture, they pursued these changes by being active members of their cultures. The second thing I notice about these examples is that they are a voice for the silent victims of society. This would come as no surprise for those of us familiar with Wesley's famous quote, "there is no holiness apart from social holiness." Those of us who are not familiar with this quote, are likely familiar with the words of Isaiah, "Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the orphan. Fight for the rights of widows" (Isaiah 1:17).

As I consider these historical examples, I am left wondering how we, the Church, are seeking social justice. How are we being a voice for the marginalized, and oppressed? This question has become even more personal for me as I prepare to go back into full time ministry. When I look at my old philosophy of ministry I notice that it is primarily inward focused, and consumeristic. I gave a great deal of attention to giving teens "the answers" while they have fun. Realizing how my perception of who the Church is and who she is to be, I am now thinking through: How can I ensure that in my life I am being a transforming agent and encouraging others to do the same?

4 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

Nice thoughts here, Dave. I recommend listening to Andy Crouch's lectures that I linked to on my own blog. I also very strongly recommend a DVD series called "Intersect" produced by Christianity Today. It is stories of people who have been engaging their culture. A small biproduct of that DVD series was my small group doing a number of projects each year to raise funds for high school students going to local colleges. It's small, but it's redemptive.

Some thoughts with regard to your last question. I think you stay redemptive by developing and seeing the word planted in you work its way through you. James 1 encourages us to do that so that eventually we will not be polluted by the world. In James polluted can also mean stained, which, I think, has connotations of Levitical laws, especially in connection with James' words on religion being worthless if we cannot control our tongues. (Think of Jesus' words: Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.) I think in all, it's James saying that to stay from being polluted by the world, which is connected to caring for orphans and widows (1:27, I think), means to become pure from the inside out, which God is at work by the word of truth (James 1:17, I think).

In the end, I think most socially redemptive Christians are such from the inside out.

MSL said...

An excellent post. (and not just because you mention Bill.

It seems you are finding your passion. Go for it.

Zimorama said...

Good thoughts. Let me invite you to think with me about Christians and Culture on my blog.

Tammy Craig said...

Exactly what I'm trying to teach my sixth graders, except on their level, of course. How to live as Christians in this world, and where to draw the line between influencer and influencee. It's a hard line to draw at any age, but it has to start somewhere.

Here's a thought in regards to culture: God gives us certain passions for certain things. I have a great passion for acting and am involved in communtiy theater. Some people don't like the fact I would do that, because we all know the stereotypes with "theater people". But I believe that is where God is leading me to let my light shine, as long as I don't start falling into the negative stereotypes that do indeed exist within it...does this have anything to do with what you're talking about, Dave, or am I just speaking too simplisticly again (which I feel is a habit of mine, lol)?