CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 20, 2006

The 1 Percent

My current read is Ten Rules of Youth Ministry and why Oneighty breaks them all. In his introduction Blaine Bartel brings to light a shocking stat. Between 1910 and 1946 approximately 65% of the teens were reached for Christ. This time span is known as the Builder Generation and they are the first generation of teens to experience youth ministry.

Now fast forward to the 1977 to 1994 era. This is known as the Bridger Generation and they are the most current completed generation. In this generation only 4% have been reached for Christ.

Looking at this we can quickly do the math and see the 61% differnence between the beginning and the end of the 20th century. The obvious question is, "what happened?". I don't wanna ask the obvisous question though. Simply because "What happened?!" forces us to look back instead of forward. My question is "How do we make it 5%?" I wanna know how in this current generation we can improve 1%.

In the Bridger Generation 96% of the teens were not reached for Christ. Our ultimate goal needs to be to reach these 96%, however this is done 1% at a time. So how do we get our first 1%?

4 comments:

Em Bass said...

I dont know I liked the post b4 this better:) I think you should put hi Emily in every post, haha

matthew said...

Yeah, after years of being told most people will be saved as teens, i'm now hearing from various sources that most conversions occur by 12 years old.

Pretty soon will have to get those infant baptisms going again.

Steph said...

part of the problem is the method, part of the problem is attitude, part of the problem is they just don't want to. But know you Dave, you don't want to hear what the problems are.

I think to reach the 1% we need to know the 1% and so giving an idea of how to reach the masses is counter productive. Christ's message is both individual and universal, and in order to reach anyone, teen, adult or child, they must know where they fit both in the big picture and as an individual.

Thats my idea

Dancin' said...

Matthew: Thanks for reinforcing my point. There's children and adults in our churches, but we have a missing link. Teens and young adults are more scarce in the church than left overs at a bolemia convention.

When I talk to other young adults the most repeated complaint I hear is, "There's no one my age". As I look at our uprising generation I only see this complaint increasing. Unless we begin reaching the 1%.

Steph: I'd agree with your idea of how to start reaching the 1%.

Identity will always be in the forefront of teen development. Primarily because it's during adolescents teen's form their concept of self.
I love your statement about helping teens find their place in the "big picture", while communicating we care for them as they are, regardless of their role in the "big picture". It gives evidence to the postmodern generation we live in.