CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 03, 2006

Saving Superman

After 5 rewrites the 5th installment of the Superman Series was released last week. I consider myself a Big Superman fan. I don't have the pjs anymore and I stopped trying to fly off my roof, but Superman is still my favorite super hero.

In Superman Returns they attempt to resurrect the man of steel's legacy. I use the term "resurrect" because throughout the movie they insult our intelligence and continually slap us in the face with these "Christ Parallels". You think he's Jesus, WE GET IT!!!

Maybe they should have gone with a 6th rewrite, because all I found, besides the excessive and over the top Christ parallels, is a drug out plot and small pockets of actions. It's almost as if the directors changed midway through. The characters are re-introduced in interesting ways. Great rising action. The movie's goin' along nicely. Then there is a lack of any REAL climax and the movie dribbles off to the credits.

Along with a rewrite they should have done some recasting. Brandon Routh?! Come on now!!! Just because he looks like Christopher Reeves doesn't mean he can be Superman. Why not go with guys who have proven themselves as Superman on TV. Dean Cain isn't too busy these days. I'd even take Tom Welling over Brandon Routh (yuck). Kate Bosworth did well to keep the Lois Lane character consistent. I feel bad for James Marsden, who I have a feeling may have gotten himself written out of X-men (Scott Summers) so he could play this role of Richard White, Lois' boyfriend. James seems to do a great job playing the jealous boyfriend. Kevin Spacey played and excellent Lex Luther. His villainous humor along with Sam Huntington's portrayal of Jimmy Olsen made the movie endurable. There is also a scene where 1 of Lex's henchmen & Lois' son, Jason, play chopsticks, that brought some good laughs too. You can definitely say the movie was a good laugh.

Kryptonite is yet to kill Superman, but Bryan Singer & Michael Dougherty (screenplay), Dan Harris (director), and Brandon Routh (Superman) sure have him on life support. The sequel for Superman Returns schedule for release in 2009 has allot to overcome to return Superman to its place of prominence

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good review, Dave...I've read similar stuff about the movie, too, especially about routh not being the greatest actor for the part. But they are pretty big shoes to fill...I heard Spacey did a pretty great job as Luthor, though. Good ol' Spacey. AND I just found out that Bryan singer is gay. Who knew? After making such manly movies like XMen and Superman? Hmm, that was a pretty homophobic type comment wasn't it? woops.

RC said...

i found parts of it kind of slow and drawn out like you did...especially if lex luther was involved.

but hey, superman's not my fave, but i still was able to enjoy it.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com