CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Accepting Me

I was having a discussion with the Kool Aid Kid (from one of my previous blogs) about a book I've been reading and after sharing with I've decided to share with you.

I'm currently reading Posers, Fakers, and Wannabes written by Brennan Manning & Jim Hancock. This book is actually an explosion of a chapter you would find in another one of Brennan Manning's books, Abba's Child. The chapter in Abba's Child this book expounds upon is the chapter titled The Imposter.

In Posers, Fakers, & Wannabes Brennan tackles the oh so common dilemma we have of wearing different masks. He talkd about how we pretend to be one person here and another person there and how these different people we all pretend to be are just "The Poser" within us.

The Poser is the one who first protected us from the world, who would want to hurt us, by showing us how to hide our true self. Because of this we've come to trust the poser and lean on him to keep us safe. He is a distinct part of who we are.

Brennan does something I haven't seen many authros do. Instead of bringing us face to face with what we've done, he brings us face to face with who we are. He gets us to stare ourselves in the mirror.

Doing this has brought out some true honesty in my relationship with God. It's brought to light some of the thoughts and feelings which for the longest time have resided in the darkest places of my being. I've discovered thoughts and feelings I didn't even know I had, but have been at the roots of the other thoughts and feelings.

By facing the Poser and befriending him, instead of hating him, I am coming to love who I am. Rather than hating who I am being and desiring who I am suppose to be. Now the Poser and I are taking the journey together. Perhaps for the first time we are being sanctified rather than manufacturing the appearance of sanctification.

2 comments:

Aaron Perry said...

yo. some pretty thought provoking stuff here, dave. i think there is some truth to the poser protecting us. i'll keep thinking on it.

Dancin' said...

Props from AP!! Sweet Dealz!

The poser protects us as children, not yet ready to face the world. I think part of the maturing process is growing up and being brave enough to face the world as we truly are.

The hesitation most of us have here is with the present state of the church. Something else Brennan & a few senior pastors I've talked to are concerned about.