CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Tithing Times

Last year I was at a job where I was paid bi-weekly and I averaged between $350-400 a pay-period. In February (2005) God put a challenge before me. He asked me to start tithing $50 each pay in faith that he would increase my pay to a point where $50 would be 10%. I couldn't pay my monthly bills and I was geting behind, so he asks for more?!

Over the ensuing months I would tithe the $50 and my pay didn't get any better.I actually was losing money and getting even further behind in my bills. Six months later I got a new job and within the first 2 months of being at this new job my pay went up to a point where $50 was under my 10% tithe.

After I got the job I had forgotten about God's challenge and it's just been in the last month or so God said, "See?! Told ya!" I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but now I can pay my bills and I'm not constantly scrapping change together for a Tim's Coffee. I know we've heard prosperity preachers tell us time after time, "Give money and God will give you untold fortunes!" This is not what I'm saying.

Tithing is just another way God has shown himself faithful to me.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Hey Dave -- Good word. If only we could all trust God with our income, and the rest of our lives as well!

By the way, could you update your link to me? It's now www.robinwhiteonline.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome...but I question whether God would ask you to get further behind in your bill payments. Ruining your credit? That's not very good stewardship, especially when Jesus spoke about being wise with what we've been given.

This is not a criticism of your Praise note, just a thought I had after I had finished reading it.