CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Lure of Love

I'm what some may call a gradual reader. I'll take 3 or 4 books and read them all over the span of a few months, while others may take 1 book and read it in a week. Then there's you over achievers who read 20 books a month.

In reading one of the final chapters of The Sacred Romance a switch clicked in my head. In this chapter John Eldredge relives how he & his wife, Stasi, took a trip to the "chateau" where they spent their honeymoon, in an attempt to save their marriage. As my eyes touched each word I realized for most of my Christian life I have looked at God as my judgemental father. I was Constantly trying to seek & earn his approval. Knowing I never could, and grace would cover me, I still sought to prove to God, I was a "good boy". I kept trying to make my dad proud of me.

In Scripture God portrays himself as a judge, a master, a father, and as a husband to the church. I think that each of these is a way we relate with God as we continue in our journey and mature in Christ.

As I concluded The Sacred Romance God and I ventured into unchartered waters for me. Our relationship left the realm of judgement and entered into romance.This is a sacred place of union, only husband and wife can know, it is where defenses are dropped. Where there is no longer an attempt to prove worth. They love not for what the other has done or does. It is a selfless love they share with each other. Their actions are not an attempt to prove their love but are motivated by their love.

6 comments:

matthew said...

Most everyone seems to be enjoying these John Eldredge books. I've been hearing so much about them I feel no need to read them myself. But I am glad they are impacting people to consider God's great love with a fresh approach.

Steph said...

I'm adding that to my reading list. The women's group in my church is doing a study called "falling in love with Jesus" which is along the same principle, and it just astounds me. The love that God wants to experience with us, wants to share with us, is that free pure love. Now, He is waiting as we, His bride, are prepared for Him. Thanks for the reminder of how wonderful that is

Sunny D said...

I never thought about that...the trying to prove our love for Him. It's become so consistant/subconscious that, yeah, it just didn't occur to me all the "rules" of love(patient, kind, doesn't envy or boast...).

Also, per our "capability of evil" discussion...I can see where you're coming from where for something to be perfect it can lack nothing...but isn't that putting a humanized standard on an infinite?

Dancin' said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dancin' said...

EEWWW...Sunny D, nice thought. What first comes to mind as a response is if something is infinite (without boundaries) than it would far exceed any standard we would try to place on it and in exceeding it also achieve any standard we would place on it. Like at the carnival when there's those "you must be this tall to ride" (sorry Steph). If the height is 5 feet and I walk up to it, I meet the standard of 5 feet and exceed it by 1 foot and 2 inches.
Thus it is God's infinite love and perfection that makes capable our ability to enter into a relationship with him where we do not need to be concerned about meeting the status quo.

Steph said...

I don't meet the 5 ft. high requirements.....sigh...