CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Principles

Going through Bible College you are filled with Principles. There's 5 Principles of Christian living, 10 principles of money management, 3 Principles to keeping your toe jam organized and so on. Don't get me wrong principles are great guide lines for living and while I was at Worship East I came up with a principle I think will be very beneficial in ministry.

There are many times as an assistant pastor you are scared to do something for fear of the repercussions. We're scared someone will find something wrong with our decision and this causes us to miss out on opportunities or do allot of unnecessary work. For this reason I have instituted the Who's gonna stop me? principle. Before you get the wrong idea, this isn't a license to go out and just be a jerk or act without thinking. It's not even a might makes right mentality. The principle is to be used in relation to those minor details of ministry. In these times of ambiguity when you would like to do something and are scared that there maybe negative consequences takes these 3 easy steps.

1. Ask yourself "What could possibly go wrong?"
2. If something could go wrong, determine if the
possible negative outcomes are an acceptable risk.
3. Announce your plan or idea, and Act.

If anyone has a serious problem with your idea or plan, this is where they will try to stop you. In essence Steps 3 is you asking "Who's gonna stop me?". Except instead of being a challenge it's more an invitation for people to speak up.

3 comments:

matthew said...

Sometimes I do the 'whos gonna stop me' question in my head before I express the idea at all.

If the answer is more than 3 key leaders, I don't bother expressing the idea for the time being.

Dancin' said...

Good idea Matthew, I see your 3 leaders aspect fitting into step 1 and 2. Maybe we should market this principle together.

Steph said...

I think that's a great idea...especially when things need to get planned and acted on