CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 15, 2005

Why?!

Yesterday I went to see The Skeleton Key. I tend to enjoy going to "horror" films. Each time I go to see if Hollywood has created a movie that can scare me. Unfortunately, The Skeleton Key failed to even come close to achieving this goal the only movie to be successful in the last few years was "The Bogeyman".

For some reason I got to those movies wanting to be scared and I know I'm not alone in this. The thing I don't understand is "why". Why do we actually wanna subject ourselves to two hours of mental torment, which is followed by us cautious entering rooms and sometimes pulling the covers over our heads.

I'm not totally flippant about what I watch I tend to avoid things I know glorify the demonic. For example I was extremely convicted for watching The Exorcist. I wasn't freaked out by it, but as I watched it, I knew was opening myself up to attacks. So I have stuck away from all the it's sequels.

So here's the pyscho-analytical question of the week. What in our pyschy incites us to cautiously freak ourselves out?

8 comments:

matthew said...

It seems to be the same reason people do extreme sports. It gets the blood flowing. It's new/fresh/lively/etc.

On a totally different scale, I suspect some guys like it b/c they want to watch it with a girl and have her get scared so they can protect her in some way.

And I bet some girls like horror flics so they can pretend to be scared so some guy will act mucho and 'protect' them

Dancin' said...

It's been awhile since I've watched a scary movie with a girl, so good insight, Matthew. It's very true, even though I forgot.

Steph said...

as a girl, yeah, i was always more likely to act scared watching a horror movie with a guy, but i would watch them with my girlfriends too. usually it was the feeling of relief at the end that made it good for me...still does actually, tho now i stick with "spycological thrillers" instead of the traditional "horror" - it's kinda nice to be all worked up and tense and then relax at the end because it's all over....or is it....

Dancin' said...

I was thinkin' about what you were sayin' Matthew. Do you think our thrill quest is a response to the innate desire we have for something more in life, to live out a life bigger than ourselves?

Scottie said...

something inside of us needs that bigger high or rush... it is why jerry springer is so popular now days... everybody is wondering "what is next?" shock rock, skydiving... the problem is that if the next high is not as intense or more exciting or gives us a bigger rush we are let down... sadly, we do this with God and church as well sometimes... sometimes it becomes an emotional experience and we are let down if the next service does not give us that next bigger high... did that make sense or was i just rambling???

Dancin' said...

Scottie, I think you are hitting on a truth there. We're all "looking for the next BIG thing" (artist I don't know) we just do it via different avenues. My question still remains are we seeking these thrills because "we still haven't found what we're looking for" (U2)?
Perhaps the contentment in Christ we all claim to have isn't so content?!

Steph said...

i don't thnk its from a sense of discontentment in our relationship with Christ so much as it is a sense of discontentment with life in general. we want adventure, excitement, even peril, but out lives are secure, mundane, uneventful.

Scottie said...

basically it comes down to this... frustration with stupid timber blog interrupting stuff... it makes us so mad that we have to burn off steam in silly and intense ways... phew... after all that wisdom i need a nap...